Guess what time of year it is? Yee Haw!
My kids came home with 27 pounds of candy last night and this morning I got to listen to Christmas music on my way in to work . . . in the DARK . . . the COLD dark. Awesomeness. NOT!
Currently I am sitting at my desk writing this email after having just eaten lunch at Vasken's.
AND I am FREEZING!!!
Have you guessed what time of year it is yet?
I'll wait . . .
Oh never mind.
It's that time of year when the entire world decides to get sick.
I guess you can call it flu season if you want but I don't know how much of what makes people feel like total dog poop can be attributed to the actual Influenza Virus.
But I digress.
I love you and I care about you and I don't want you to feel like dog excrement EVER. So let's talk a little about this most beloved time of year for just a minute.
The first thing that you should know is that it is highly unlikely that the cold weather is the culprit.
The following is Dr. Tim's MOSTLY scientific reasoning behind why everyone get's sick during this time of the year and what you can do keep from becoming a STATISTIC this year:
1. Sugar decreases the normal functioning of your immune system. I don't know about you but as a parent to two young children and knowing the perils of excessive candy consumption on the young growing aspiring adult, I felt compelled to eat half of the 27 pounds of pure immune system destroying candy that they brought home . . . LAST NIGHT! UGH!!!
2. Exposure to our beloved Sun causes your skin (believe it or not) to make Vitamin D. Vitamin D is VERY important for immune system function. What happens this time of year? The sun literally goes away and hides in Australia. So, many people have lowered levels of Vitamin D coursing through their veins . . . NOT good for your immune function.
3. Exercise is FANTASTIC for immune function. Moving your TUCHUS moves blood faster and into more tissues of the body. It pretty much improves everything but we are talking about your immune system so let me go this route. Stress kills immune function . . . Exercise kills stress. Well guess what? Who wants to go for a walk in the park when it's 13 degrees FAHRENHEIT outside. BRRRR! You guessed it, most people get less exercise during this time of year. Strike 3.
What can you do about all of this?
1. I have some bad news . . .let me whisper it to you . . . it pains me to tell you this . . .shhh . . . come closer . . . THROW THE CANDY in the trash. You might think that you are wasting it but trust me your savings will show up when you don't have to pay a doctor bill next month. In general, don't increase your sugar consumption and if you can decrease it all the better. It's not easy but it beats spending 3 days in bed trying to decide if you are freezing to death or simply going to burn up into nothing.
2. If you can get outside in the middle of a sunny day . . . . every day for 30-60 minutes in a short sleeved shirt and shorts, that would be great. Otherwise, supplement with Vitamin D. I like the liquid ones because I HATE taking pills and my wife already makes me take a lot of pills.
3. You MUST exercise. Every day. If I said it once I will say it a TRILLION times. If a pharmaceutical company could put all of the benefits that exercise has into a pill, they would. And they would sell it. And YOU would BUY it. If exercise had the marketing department of Bayer pharmaceutical pushing it on you, you would do it every day. Exercise every day for 30-60 minutes. Walk. Run. Do Yoga. Pilates. Play basketball. Crossfit. Lift weights. I don't really care. JUST DO IT!
BTW: Jeni and I just started doing something new. We are doing a program called P90x3. Every workout is 30 minutes long. Pretty much every day. And we do it together. So far it has been awesome.
Finally, receiving regular chiropractic care may help to keep you healthy this "Flu season" too. Probably by reducing the stress on your nervous system so that your brain can function better and regulate your immune system more efficiently.
I have lot's of patients who have been coming every week or two over a long period of time and have experienced less illness. Here is one such patient, check out this brief video of him describing his experience:
Okay, that's it! I pray that you have a healthy fall and remember:
No sugar. Vitamin D. Exercise. Chiropractic.
Yours in Great Health,